Friday, December 26, 2014

How I rate books

(Photo Credit: tumblr)

This has been a topic that I've seen touched on quite a lot within the past few months as people tend to think ratings aren't genuine, and of course, everyone rates a bit differently. I have found that I may be a lot tougher when it comes to rating, but as I don't usually type a full review on my Goodreads unless the book was given for review, it may be a bit confusing as to what the stars mean to me.

Of course, I rate every book differently. For example, I may rate a classic based on the complexity and statement, while a contemporary may just be rated depending on how much I like it.

1 STAR: I don't think I've ever given one of these. But it would just mean that I really didn't like anything about the book.

2 STARS: I didn't like the book, but I did like a specific character, scene, or message in the story. Or generally, I saw its merit. (Eleanor and Park, Pandemonium)

3 STARS: I liked the story, but it was nothing special. ( Hollow City, Ender's Game,We Were Liars, The Selection)

4 STARS: I loved the book, but maybe there were some points where I found myself bored, or there just were some flaws. (Throne of Glass, Anna and the French Kiss, Harry Potter (all of them so far) The Lightning Thief)

5 STARS: I absolutely loved the book. Though it may still have its flaws, they never impaired my enjoyment. (The Perks of Being a Wallflower, The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer, The Hunger Games, Fangirl)

I do also have a shelf that is my absolute favorite books that I don't own. but you're pretty safe picking from any of my 4 or 5 star books.

xx Kendall

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Live. Read. Kendall Copyright © 2011 -- Template created by O Pregador -- Powered by Blogger